Thursday, October 15, 2009

Finally in Italy


Hi Everyone,

We had a wonderful flight to Rome. Service on the entire flight was awesome. Since we were lucky enough to fly first class we found out how wonderful that was. Spoiled rotten. Seats that recline into almost full beds. Thick comforters, real size pillows and food that was pretty great. Since the flight was so long, we were served dinner around 8:30 pm then breakfast before landing. Pretty great. Everyone had their own headsets and could watch moviies, play games or listen to a large variety of music. It was the most comfortable flight.

As I awoke, I noticed a little light coming under the window shade and I checked it out to find we were just coming back onto land - Portugal. That’s when it really struck me that I was in Europe. It was then that the plane started to stir. People waking, breakfast served. As I was the landscape change below us - the mountain ranges came into view in Spain, all the while the coast was visible. It was all very beautiful and majestic. Eventually we flew over Sicily, in our initial decent into Rome.

Our drive from the airport was nice and uneventful. Another couple shared the shuttle ride, also going on the cruise with us. They were from Alaska, basically on a second honeymoon. They were young and energetic. I can’t remember those days myself, as I felt my energy waning away - and it was only noon in Italy. Arriving at our hotel, we realize we are truly in Italy. A small family run hotel. They cater to Americans quite nicely. The room is wonderful. Marty has done most of the planning for this trip and has done a wonderful job with his research. The town of Civatevecchia reminds me of Coacticook, my Dad’s hometown - 20 years ago. It’s like they are stuck in time here. We are reminded this is an old shipping town.

The roads and sidewalks are so narrow it’s hard to believe that anyone can drive. And for the most part walking romantically hand in hand is out. We must have fit in quite nicely, someone actually stopped to ask “us” for directions. Fortunately, I new how to say “Io no parlo italiano”.
So now we’ve been in Civatevecchia for several hours. We went to find a ‘farmacia” (pharmacy). It’s only about 2 pm or so and encountered a society which is pretty much shut down from 12 to 3 or 4 pm. So then we went in search of a restaurant that was recommended and found it to be closed on Wednesdays. Oh well, so off we went to, only to find the staff working the day shift speaks only Italian. It was staffed with Mother and Grandmother who appears to be the cook. The young granddaughter was doing homework with the help of both women. But back to the Italian -thank goodness I completed level one of Rosetta Stone Italian - I was able to communicate the essentials and we had a very good and very fresh seafood meal. But I have to warn you - if you order ravioli stuffed with cod, you also get shrimp, mussels (shells and all), and some other mystery shellfish we cannot name, tossed with my ravioli. I found myself quite adventurous today.

Now I am fighting serious jet lag and want to sleep but I’m holding out till dark. (maybe)!
(This post is 1 day late - we’ll catch you up about the departure in the next day or two)




Jeanne & Marty

1 comment:

  1. Bonsoir Jeanne et Marty !

    C'est super le fun votre blog.
    J'espère que tu vas continuer de nous écrire. Tu nous fait voyager avec vous , c'est super.

    À la prochaine !

    Céline et Sylvain

    ReplyDelete