Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Venice by the Sea

October 22, 2009 - The last three days were incredible. First we spent 2 days in Venice. I’ve never seen anything like it. It is a city near the Adriatic Sea with all its canals which really makes travel interesting. Lots of steps, walking and canals so everything and everyone gets around by boats.



But first - our first funny story - We had to buy tickets for the Vaporettos (boats) to get around Venice. The lady at the ticket counter (about 18 years old) was not having a good day and I became the target. She was refusing to serve me because I did not have exact change. You would all be so proud of me - I stood my ground and waited her out. After a few customers went by and gave her exact change, then I tried again knowing she had enough change, once again she refused stating the line was so long and she needed to make it last. Many people just wanted to get through so they bought maps. She kept telling me - I had to help “her” out -- to which I said “you have to help me out. I am a guest in your country” (after all I just got off the boat.) I sent Marty in search of exact change while I stayed in my spot right next to the window. I waited through a couple more people, then she got exasperated and finally just gave me my two tickets and change. Off we go to the first Vaporetto and you won’t believe this -there was a automatic ticket kiosk.



We did some of the traditional sightseeing - San Marco Basilica, The Doges Palace, and the Wall of Sighs that connects the Palace to the Prison. The courtyard (Piazzas) are everywhere surrounded by many shops and restaurants. Everything is in tight quarters. I don’t think you can get more than 4 people in any one shop. In the restaurants you sit very close to other people. It definitely has its own ambience. Venice was very exciting and worth it.



So for our 2nd funny story. Marty and I with two friends went to find something to eat and chose a small pizzeria. We each ordered a pizza and Marty orders a beer (Birra) and the rest of us order water, and the waiter goes nuts - talking directly to Marty and basically saying we were idiots and one of us should order a 1 liter bottle to share since they cost so much. So Marty came off as the only smart one in the group. Okay so, customer service is not at its best in Venice.



In the evening, Marty and I embarked on the Gondola ride - Gondoliers make their own rules, so our ride included 4 other people and a fleet of 6 other gondolas, also filled with people. The gentleman who serenaded us was in another gondola, so we really traveled as a fleet. But it was very nice. The couple who sat with us was from Czekoslavakia. They had a good sense of humor. Ironically, he was originally from Houston too. He’s been living in Prague for the last 10 years or so. After the ride (Oh by the way did I mention it was soooo cold in Venice. I was wearing multiple layers, gloves, and had to buy a scarf. It’s been an unusual month in the Mediterranean. We’ve been told it is not usually this cool in October - oh well).



After the ride - Marty took me to a very nice restaurant with a maritime theme called La Caravella. We had some interesting dishes, good cheeses, and I had a very tasty steak and Marty ate the local seafood (something called torbut).

Afterwards, we took a walk to the Wall of Sighs -where Marty proposed -- Yep --that’s right!!! -- He picked the romantic "city of love" to propose. It was beautiful! He’s such a romantic! So for all of you waiting for the big moment -- there you have it. Afterwards, we continued our walk along the canals before returning to our beautiful Carnival Dream.





We spent the next day just walking the canals and doing a little shopping, stopping for cappucino and watching the canal traffic. They even take out the laundry, garbage and everything out by boats. There are very few places where trucks or cars can go. We even saw a furniture delivery. It’s incredible. I’m sure very expensive and the upkeep tremendous. The flood lines on the building were up about 4 feet from earlier this year. It looks like no one can live on the first floor only the upper levels. It was such a beautiful day. At about 1 p.m. we headed back to our ship. Oh yeah, one of our purchases included the Venetian masks. There was to be a Carnivale parade on the ship late that night. They are so beautiful and we thought they would make great art pieces too. We did have a romantic dinner in the ship’s steak house with wonderful cheese cake. But the “carnivale” was not till 11:30 and that was just too late, and my bed was calling me..



Till the next blog - Our next stop was Dubrovnik, Croatia. Love ya’ll.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! It sounds very nice and i can't wait to see the pictures.
    - Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Félicitations Marty pour la grande demande.

    Maintenant Jeanne on ne sait pas ce que tu as répondu. Tu comprends bien que je veux plus de détails que ça. ..(Hi! Hi!)

    ReplyDelete